Friday, August 14, 2009

the space we cannot touch (delilah)

there is the thinnest of veils between us
a shroud so soft and almost intangible
like a mist that haunts our fingerprints as we reach out
we search for escapes, for exit and entry from one to another
we cannot touch
you gazed at me through the distortion, amidst the crowd and then smiled
strangers we were, though in that moment you knew me and i knew you
my thoughts gave rise to craving and then eventually what felt like hunger
what is this? i thought.
those were the tiny seeds of confusion...
those who watched, their brows furrowed so quizzically
i smiled, silently and so knowingly
i felt sweet gratitude to the universe and a welcome warmth encompassed my heart
you knew me, and i knew you
therein lay the tragedy
always together, always divided
as hard as we tried the veil was ever present
always you said, never i replied.
i thought i'd give you my heart if only you'd asked, and all that was left of me
from the beginning of all to the end of everything
all that remained of those lost broken pieces that you knew so well but never ran away from
you could never have my heart because you would never ask
you would disappear then return again and again, but somehow it all counts for naught
the divide with its glorious distortion was an immeasurable constant
always and never
this paralyzing temptation burned through my veins and in your eyes when you'd look into mine
it eroded my resolve and drove me mad
the empty echo of a quiet hope rang loudly in my conscience everyday of our long silence
i hoped i would cry so that i might collapse into sweet surrender
so that i might let you go
but the waiting never ended and i remained in limbo

No comments:

Post a Comment